About Gates Hall
For almost 200 years, the citizens of Pultneyville and the surrounding community have come together to join forces and resources to maintain and preserve Gates Hall as a community treasure.
It has been an important part of local history since December 27, 1825, when a group of frontiersmen gathered together to frame a church constitution, which, while not known at the time, would foster the religious and cultural growth in the area for the next two centuries.
From its humble beginnings as Union Church, this landmark structure became the first non-denominational sacred place of worship in Pultneyville, and in 1893, became known as “Gates Hall.” From worship to anti-slavery, temperance, spiritualism, women’s rights, war-time efforts, and community theatre, Gates Hall has hosted many noteworthy lecturers on timely topics and causes, community meetings, and theatrical performances.
Unassuming, weathered and worn, yet a well-preserved landmark, Gates Hall has been lovingly cared for by the community through its many years. Today, it is owned and cared for by the Williamson-Pultneyville Historical Society. It resides on the National Register of Historic Places, and proudly bears the well-earned designation as the oldest active continuously operating small community theatre in the nation.
Gates Hall has been home to many community theatre groups since 1867, providing opportunities for people of all ages to enjoy the performing arts as creative performers or audience members. For nearly 200 years, our neighbors, friends, and families have gathered, worshipped, loved, laughed, cried, and celebrated under the roof of Gates Hall for weddings, funerals, plays, debates, and more.